Concrete Peace

 A bit of confusion, I find myself unrest
So I think about a concrete path.
I think about every excuse to keep me in this place
I think about a book or some type of guest to call,
But I hear a voice beckoning me to take a walk down a concrete path.

I muster up my strength and tighten up my bag.
I think of how absurd I appear,
But I cannot find my peace anywhere else
Besides this concrete path.
I walk down the street I’ve driven down many a time.
The crickets chirping cause my pace to drag.
I walk until I have no thought besides this concrete path.

I pass a couple strangers as they smoke a cigarette.
I try to nod at them as I pass.
They pay no attention to my gesture as I walk down this concrete path.
I see along the ground much garbage.
I don’t understand how people are so careless about this concrete path.

I’ve finally reached my journey’s end,
But only to realize I must begin again
Back towards my initial location on the other side of this concrete path.
On the way back I have an epiphany
I write it down in the back of my brain
To think about at a later time so I can enjoy this concrete path.

I have really enjoyed this moment of solitude.
I have finally found peace once again upon my soul.
I owe it to my guiding Spirit who called me to walk down that concrete path.


I love people!

I love to hang out with people and get to know them and what causes them to act the way they do. Every once in a while, however, I go a bit too far than my heart can handle. I’ll put an extra bit of effort that causes me to feel drained and unrest. In these moments, I have a tendency to try and find wholeness in my own way (which typically is not a good thing). After I have finally gotten over the failure I produce, I find a different way to find that peace that I lose when I exert myself. It is never the same method. Sometimes I fast and pray. Sometimes I watch a movie or a video game. Sometimes I read or write. Today it involved taking a little walk. It wasn’t a little walk; it was about an hour long walk. At first I didn’t want to do it since I didn’t have the proper shoes or even socks (really the lack there of), but I strapped on my backpack and took off.

It was difficult at first. I find it troubling to quite my mind. There are so many things I want to say to so many people, and it overwhelms me. When I finally muster up the strength and clarity to offer advice or even compliments, my mind can’t help but to wonder what they thought about what I had to say or how it has affected their day or lives. I also wonder if what I have said has been phrased wrong. Did I say what needed to be said in a way to where they understand and feel the emotion I was attempting to personify? I also can’t help but to think about them many philosophical thoughts rolling around in my head. Today it was about how I believe every person has a bit of advice/perspective/life experience to help others. Somebody else’s strengths or weaknesses can align with somebody else’s strengths and weaknesses to create a better community. I think this has a very Biblical overtone to it. I’m pretty sure that’s called the Church, but I kinda left this thought right there. I took this walk to relieve myself from thought, and this wasn’t the way to go about it.

The poem pretty much tells you the rest of the story. I’ve never really written a poem before. It’s pretty raw, and takes a bit to develop a meter, but I’m happy with it. I need to roll off to sleep now. I pray that all of you find the peace you desperately need. It might help to walk it off or run it off or sleep it off or maybe even talk it off. Just be keen to God’s nudge in the proper method for whatever season in your life you are in. He really does know best.

Grace and Peace,
Josh

This entry was posted in ,,,,,,,,,,,. Bookmark the permalink.